Ewens Ponds is a spectacular series of three ponds fed by underground limestone springs and interconnected by shallow, amazingly beautiful channels. The water bubbling up from the perfectly white limestone springs has been filtered through rock for thousands of years and creates a clarity unlike anything you would have seen before. Because it is coming from underground it maintains a constant temperature of 16 degrees year-round and its clarity enables it to be one of the only places in the world where some land plants can be found growing underwater, just one of the reasons making this delicate and beautiful site so unique.
The site is home to many fish species from saltwater species such as Bream, estuary species such as Estuary Perch, Freshwater species such as Estuary Blackfish and Pouched Lampreys, to the endangered Ewens Pygmy Perch, a species that ONLY EXISTS in these ponds!
Reef2Ridge offer both Snorkelling and Scuba Diving Tours (for qualified Open Water divers) in this pristine habitat. You are provided with a full-length 7mm Wetsuit, Boots, Mask, Snorkel and Fins and given tutoring on snorkelling techniques emphasising how to minimise your impact to the extremely delicate aquatic plants and wildlife.
PREREQUISITES FOR PARTICIPATION:
- You must be able to swim 50m in calm conditions unassisted.
- You must be over 8 years old.
- Your permit to enter the park and snorkel.
- All equipment necessary (Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Hood, Boots and Fins)
- Transport to and from the site (optional)
- A guide to ensure you are as safe as possible, enjoy the site and the site is protected from damage.